Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pasties
It is rather odd that things from childhood still play a part in our lives. As a child the lady next door used to make Pasties and we could smell them it was the yummiest smell, Before I was confident enough to try I would often see pasties in a bakery and buy one but none measured up to my memory, So I asked and here are the results. I have been making them for a while now and my children can smell them and come racing up to my kitchen.
1kg premium mince
1 parsnip
2 carrots
1 lge potato
1 med-lge onion
salt & Pepper
Ready Rolled Puff Pastry

Peel vegetables (I then put them through my mincer) my Mum grates them, and add them to the mince meat add some salt and pepper(to suit your taste)
Place pastry on bench and cut a circle (from a sheet of pastry I can get 2 x 140mm circles(my small saucepan lid) and 2 x 95mm circle (a drinking glass) this way I get 2 large pasties and 2 small ones. Dip finger in water and spread around out edge of each circle, place approx 1 desertspoon of meat and vege mix on one side of the large circle,(not close to the edge) and fold other side over and press edges together(a large tsp on the small ones). I then push the joined edges inwards with my index finger to make a scollaped edge. Brush the top with a mixture of egg and milk. Place on greased and floured oven tray and bake at 200C till golden brown, lift off with a egg slide and cool on wire rack. I sometimes roll the scraps of pastry to make more pasties, but prefer to roll it and make the base for a meat pie or apple pie as I find it shrinks and is not flaky after the second rolling. Pasties freeze well. The little ones I try to freeze for party food. You will be able to adjust as to your taste if you like more carrot or parsnip etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment